This is one of the most common questions with regards to storage unit size. How much storage space do I need? Estimating how much space you will need can seem daunting but in reality estimating what size self storage unit you need comes down to 2 things:
1: What do you need to store?
Start by making a list of the things you will be storing. Is it large pieces of furniture like a couch or a king size mattress? Or is it boxes of books? Your first step should be to take an inventory of everything you need to store. You will need to think about all the items that you plan on putting into your self storage unit for easy access later. Next you should plan to group all your frequently-used items together. As you will want to pack these items last and keep them together in the front of your self storage unit so you can access them without having to unpack the entire storage unit.
2: How will you be packing your stuff up?
This is a key point to consider. The more organized and consistent your packing supplies the more organized your self storage unit will be. Additionally the more uniform your packing supplies the more efficiently you can take advantage of the space within your self storage unit. Begin by identifying items that will be packed in boxes and stacked. Then group by what is fragile,(glassware, pictures) and weight (books, pots and pans) You should plan on arranging the heavier, sturdier items on the bottom the self storage unit, fragile items on top. Then consider awkwardly-sized items that won’t stack well, including how often you will need to access them, and how heavy they are. These items should be put that the back of the self storage unit With all of that in mind now you can begin to plan on what size storage unit you will need. At Stop & Stor Self Storage we offer a variety of sizes of self storage units. Below is a quick-reference guide to help you plan what size unit you will need for your personal or business storage:
Storage of Personal Items
- 5′ x 5′ Storage Unit (25 sq. ft.) – Will hold a chest of drawers, a small mattress set, boxes and small items. Useful for garden tools, or seasonal decorative items.
- 5′ x 10′ Storage Unit (50 sq. ft.) – Will hold furnishings of a mid-size bedroom, including a queen-size bed, dresser, TV, and a few storage boxes.
- 10′ x 10′ Storage Unit (100 sq. ft.) – Will hold the contents of an entire family room or two full bedrooms.
- 10′ x 15′ Storage Unit (150 sq. ft.) – Will hold the contents of up to three bedrooms in this unit. Recommended for larger items such as pianos, couches, tables, or large-screen TVs.
- 10′ x 20′ Storage Unit (200 sq. ft.) – Will hold the contents of a five-bedroom house, including a refrigerator, washer/dryer, dining room table, chairs and large boxes.
- 10′ x 30′ Storage Unit (300 sq. ft.) – Will hold the contents of a 5- to 7-bedroom house, including large items such as a couch, bed, fridge, and entertainment center.
It is always a good idea to visit potential storage units to get a visual sense of the storage space you will be working with.
Your storage representative can answer any questions you may have, and give you suggestions on how to store your items to maximize space.
About Stop & Stor
Stop & Stor has been a vital part of New York City neighborhoods for decades. Stop & Stor is a family owned and operated business, established in 1980. We began as a small business and with the help of our loyal customers and outstanding customer service, we have grown into one of the largest and most respected storage companies in New York. Our commitment to securing and storing your valuables and possessions is unsurpassed. We stand for value, service and community; after all, we are your neighbors, friends, and even family. We’ve grown into New York’s Self Storage Leader by constantly offering more to our customers, from cutting-edge facilities and friendly staff to exclusive promotions and rooms for every budget.
The Stop & Stor Charitable Fund is a prime example of tireless service and community pride. Our fund supports dozens of charities that directly benefit our communities, helping causes from education to medical research. We contribute money where it’s needed most, right where we and our customers live.
We plan on growing even more in the coming years by doing just what we have always done for the last quarter of a century: being there for our customers, our friends, and our community!
For more information, please visit: https://www.stopandstor.com