During the third quarter of 2013, the Company:
- Reported Funds from operations—as adjusted (“AFFO”) of $1.03 per diluted share
- Announced a merger agreement with Corporate Property Associates 16 – Global Incorporated (“CPA®:16 – Global”)
- Structured $428.9 million of investments on behalf of the Managed REITs
- Raised its annualized dividend rate to $3.44 per share, WPC’s 50th consecutive quarterly increase
- AFFO for the third quarter of 2013 was $71.1 million or $1.03 per diluted share, compared to $33.9 million or $0.82 per diluted share for the third quarter of 2012. AFFO for the nine months ended September 30, 2013 was $216.0 million or $3.09 per diluted share, compared to $101.8 million or $2.48 per diluted share for the comparable period in 2012. The increased AFFO in the three and nine months ended September 30, 2013 as compared to the same periods in 2012 was primarily due to income from the properties we acquired in our merger with Corporate Property Associates 15 – Incorporated (“CPA®:15″) on September 28, 2012 (the “CPA®:15 Merger”) partially offset by the cessation of asset management revenue received from CPA®:15 after the CPA®:15 Merger was completed. Per share data for the 2013 periods also reflects the issuance of 28.2 million shares in connection with the CPA®:15 Merger to the stockholders of CPA®:15. Further information concerning AFFO, a non-GAAP supplemental performance metric, is presented in the accompanying tables and related notes.
- Total revenues net of reimbursed expenses for the third quarter of 2013 were $114.7 million, compared to $49.4 million for the third quarter of 2012. Total revenues net of reimbursed expenses for the nine months ended September 30, 2013 were $316.7 million, compared to $143.8 million for the comparable period in 2012. Reimbursed expenses are excluded from total revenues because they have no impact on net income.
- Net Income for the third quarter of 2013 was $18.5 million, compared to $2.6 million for the same period in 2012. Net Income for the nine months ended September 30, 2013 was $75.9 million, compared to $46.7 million for the prior year period.
- For the quarter ended September 30, 2013, we received approximately $14.5 million in cash distributions from our equity ownership in the Managed REITs including $7.3 million in Available Cash distributions related to our special general partnership interests in the Managed REITs.
W. P. CAREY OWNED PORTFOLIO UPDATE
- In September 2013, W. P. Carey acquired an office facility of the Department of State for Communities and Local Government, a department of the UK Government, located in Manchester, UK. The total acquisition cost of the facility was approximately $63.3 million (GBP40.0 million/EUR47.0 million). Year to date, W. P. Carey has completed five transactions for a total investment of $248.5 million.
- During the third quarter of 2013, W. P. Carey disposed of three properties for total proceeds of $7.6 million.
- The W. P. Carey owned portfolio currently consists primarily of 421 leased properties comprising 39.4 million square feetleased to 125 corporate tenants. The average lease term of the portfolio is 8.7 years and the occupancy rate is 99.0%.
W. P. CAREY MANAGED PORTFOLIO UPDATE
- W. P. Carey is the advisor to the CPA® REITs and Carey Watermark Investors Incorporated (“CWI”), which had aggregate real estate assets of $8.6 billion, cash of approximately $0.8 billion and total assets of $9.3 billion as of September 30, 2013. The average occupancy rate for the 78.6 million square feet owned by the CPA®REITs was 98.8%.
- CPA®:17 – GLOBAL: During the third quarter of 2013, we structured eight new investment transactions totaling $209.3 million on behalf of CPA®:17 – Global. Year to date, through October 31, 2013, we have structured $437.6 million of new investments on behalf of CPA®:17 – Global.
- CPA®:18 – GLOBAL: Year to date, through October 31, 2013, CPA®:18 – Global, our newest publicly-registered non-traded REIT offering, has raised approximately $65.6 million.
- CWI: Through the closing of its initial public offering on September 15, 2013, CWI, our lodging-focused non-traded REIT offering, raised approximately $582.4 million, inclusive of reinvested distributions through the distribution reinvestment plan. Year to date, through October 31, 2013, CWI has invested in 11 hotels for a total of $606.7 million, inclusive of two hotels during the third quarter of 2013 for $161.8 million.On October 25, 2013, CWI filed a registration statement with the SEC for a possible public offering of up to an additional $350 million of its common stock. There can be no assurance that CWI will actually commence the follow-on offering or successfully sell the full number of shares registered, if any.
PROPOSED MERGER WITH CPA®:16– GLOBAL
- On July 25, 2013, we announced that our Board of Directors and the Board of Directors of our publicly held, non-traded REIT affiliate, CPA®:16 – Global had each unanimously approved a merger agreement pursuant to which CPA®:16 – Global will merge with and into a subsidiary of W. P. Carey in a transaction valued at approximately $4.0 billion, including debt. Following the proposed merger, the combined company is expected to have an equity market capitalization of approximately $6.5 billion and a total enterprise value of approximately $10.0 billion.
- The proposed merger is subject to the approvals of the stockholders of both W. P. Carey and CPA®:16 – Global and other customary closing conditions. If the proposed merger is approved and the other closing conditions are satisfied, we currently expect that the closing will occur during the first quarter of 2014, although there can be no assurance that the transaction will close at such time, if at all.
- As previously announced, the W. P. Carey Board of Directors raised the quarterly cash dividend to $0.86 per share for the third quarter of 2013. This represents a 2.4% increase from the second quarter of 2013 and a 32.3% increase over the third quarter of 2012. The dividend—our 50th consecutive quarterly increase—was paid on October 15, 2013 to stockholders of record as of September 30, 2013.
- W. P. Carey President and CEO Trevor Bond, noted, “The third quarter marks the conclusion of our first full year as a REIT and also included another significant milestone for the company with the announcement of our proposed merger with CPA®:16 – Global. This transaction will further increase our real estate assets under ownership and reinforce our status as a leading global net-lease REIT. While we continue to closely monitor the current economic environment, we believe that the strength our business model and adhering to our established, conservative investment criteria will enable us to continue providing steady income to both our stockholders and investors in our Managed REITs.”
About W. P. Carey Inc.
Celebrating its 40th anniversary, W. P. Carey Inc. is a publicly traded REIT (NYSE: WPC) that provides long-term sale-leaseback and build-to-suit financing for companies worldwide and owns and manages an investment portfolio totaling approximately $15.8 billion. The largest owner/manager of net lease assets, WPC’s corporate finance-focused credit and real estate underwriting process is a constant that has been successfully leveraged across a wide variety of industries and property types. Its portfolio of long-term leases with creditworthy tenants has an established history of generating stable cash flows that have enabled the Company to deliver consistent dividend income to investors for nearly four decades. www.wpcarey.com
(via W. P. Carey Inc)]]>