According to the 2020 Self-Storage Almanac, there are approximately 47,863 self-storage facilities in the United States, representing 9.1 million rentable square feet of storage space. When looking at this ownership by number of facilities, the REITs/Public companies hold a 17.48 percent market share. The remainder of the top 100 operators hold 10.9 percent. This means that 71.62 percent of the self-storage facilities in the U.S. are owned by small operators.
Nevertheless, with larger budgets and economies of scale, the top 100 operators oftentimes dominate their market areas. But it does not have to be that way. Given the education and technological advances available today, small operators can indeed effectively compete with the big boys!
Inside this publication, you will find the collective knowledge of some of the self-storage industry’s top experts and consultants about a variety of methods and tools that will allow you to better compete with the larger operators in your market area.
- Embracing Competition
- Identifying Differences And Opportunities
- Company Culture Excellence
- Leveraging The Latest Tools
- Marketing Techniques To Help Small Operators
- The Third-Party Management Advantage
- Technology Is Critical To Compete
- Amp Up Your Curb Appeal
- Capitalizing On Vacant Space
- Rivaling The REITs’ Returns With Tenant Insurance
- Make Your Facility More Appealing
- Utilizing Analytical Data
- Drive To Succeed Against Your Competitors
- Winning With Websites